I regularly get messages asking about which tools I use to work.
Nobody has asked me what I use. Ever. But here's a list of my daily drivers and necessities anyways, mostly revolving around my Apple sheepy-ness. Inspired by many, many others. ❤️
- MacBook Air (2020)
- Apple M1 (8‑core CPU, 8‑core GPU) 🏎️💨
- 16 GB RAM
- 1 TB SSD
- MacBook Pro 15" (Mid-2018)
- Core i9 @ 2.9 GHZ, theoretically 🔥🧯🚒
- 32 GB RAM
- 1 TB SSD
- Radeon Pro 560X – 4 GB
- Most importantly, I haven't touched it since M1 stole my heart (for a third of the price). 💔
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPad Pro 10.5"
- 256 GB in Space Gray
- Smart Keyboard & Apple Pencil
- Apple Watch Series 6 (GPS)
- Google Pixel 4a
- For some recreational Android development and experimentation.
- Activated on Google Fi during rare trips.
- Really just putting this here in a futile effort to prove I'm not a complete Apple sheep. 🐑
- iTerm 2
- Visual Studio Code
- View my messy
Brewfiledump with all of my installed packages.
- View my messy
- Docker Desktop
- Parallels Desktop Pro
- Switched from VMware Fusion when Parallels beat them to the punch with M1 support.
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- Still on the $20/month Student Plan, somehow. 🤫 Will need to re-evaulate once I'm kicked off; it's hard to justify spending almost 3x that...
Sequel Pro→ TablePlus Robo 3T→ TablePlus
- Local for WordPress development.
- Firefox 🦊
- Google Chrome 😈
- Little Snitch
- iStat Menus
- Backblaze (referral link)
- Silicon Info
- GPG Suite
- The Unarchiver
- Unshaky ⌨️ (on my 2018 MBP)
- Toooo lzy too vist the Aple Stre geeniusses oonce agin to fiix tthe keeybbbboord. 😒🦋
I have far too many apps to count, but here the essentials that have earned a spot on my home screen:
I've been making recent efforts to de-Google my life, with mixed results...
Gmail→ Fastmail (referral link) & Mail.app Google Drive→ Dropbox→ iCloud Drive Google Docs→ Microsoft Office (hey, it works 🤷) Google Photos→ iCloud Photos Google Analytics→ Fathom Analytics (referral link) Google Public DNS→ Cloudflare's 184.108.40.206 on my home network. GoDaddy→ Google Domains→ Cloudflare Registrar (and ISNIC for this domain, of course 🇮🇸)
Other geeky stuff:
- Vercel and Netlify for "serverless" sites.
- DigitalOcean (referral link) and Linode (referral link) for virtual Linux servers.
- DNSimple (referral link) and Cloudflare for domain DNS.
- Backblaze (referral link) for off-site Mac backups.
- Gitea as a self-hosted Git backup/mirror.
- Tailscale and Cloudflare Tunnel to access my home network and VPSes from anywhere.
🏠 Internet of
- TP-Link Archer AX90
- Dell Inspiron 3647, upgraded to a Core i7-4790S and 16 GB of memory to dress it up as a really crappy VMware ESXi server, running a few Ubuntu VMs with:
- Philips Hue color bulbs, dimmer switches, etc.
- 2x ecobee3 lite smart thermostats (HomeKit support was a must.)
- 2x Sonos One (with Alexa turned off...allegedly.)
- 2x Apple TV 4K (2021)